Gas Safety week 2016
Gas Safety week 2016
This week is the sixth annual Gas Safety Week, aimed to raise awareness among landlords and homeowners about the importance of having their gas appliances serviced every year.
As Gas Safe engineers we understand the importance of the event, where organisations across the UK will be working together alongside the Gas Safe Register to raise awareness of the dangers of poorly maintained gas appliances, which can lead to gas leaks, fires and carbon monoxide poisoning. Over 6,500 organisations across the UK have already signed up to take part in this year’s event, beating last year’s total of 5,123.
We know gas safety is important all year round, but the value of Gas Safety Week lies in getting many people involved – strength in numbers! By focusing all of our communications in one week, we are more likely to generate media interest and have a greater impact.
The event’s official hashtag is #GSW16 and you can follow @GasSafetyWeek on Twitter.
At Bright Gas we want to ensure that you are safe in your home. By following these few simple checks, you will increase the safety of yourself and your family whilst in your home:
- Check your gas appliances every year. Gas appliances should be safety checked once a year and serviced regularly by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Tenants – make sure your landlord arranges this.
- Check your engineer is Gas Safe registered. You can find and check an engineer at www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500. At BrightGas we are a Gas Safe registered engineer, so if you’re in Dewsbury, Ossett, Batley and the surrounding areas we’re sure we can help!
- Check your engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card. Make sure they are qualified for the work you need doing. You can find this information on the back of the card. Also you can input the licence number from the engineer’s ID card. Consumers will be able to see pictures of the registered engineers and details of their qualifications.
It is also important to be aware of the six signs of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning: headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness. Unsafe gas appliances can put you at risk of CO poisoning, gas leaks, fires and explosions. By spotting the signs early you can ensure that your family are safe. Additionally, it is also important to fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm, which will alert you if there is carbon monoxide in your home.
At BrightGas we want to ensure that you are safe in your home, so if you suspect any issues with a gas appliance of realise that your appliances are in need of a service, give us a call, 01924 631177.